Thursday, October 2, 2008

The last two weeks...

have been CHALK FULL of emotions, so please forgive me if I ramble...

First off, September 13 will be one of the hardest days of my life from now on......... it's the day that I lost the most precious gift that God could ever give a child; this is the day I lost my mom. God came and took her by the hand in her sleep (EXACTLY how she wanted to go). The following week, preparing for the memorial, left my dad, three siblings and I completely numb (although, having Alzheimer's Disease, my dad didn't completely comprehend everythng). We had cousins and other family and friends come from EVERYWHERE to give us the love and support we absolutely needed. The Memorial Service (approximately 200 showed up, and 125 went to the reception back at Dad's house afterwards) was absolutely beautiful, and I'm sure that Mom would have been so proud to know that we showed the strength and courage that she exhibited each and every day of her life. Mom had a smile and laugh that could absolutely light up a room. She was a beautiful person inside and out. She and I were joined at the hip when I was little and had all of my medical issues. As an adult, and still having minor medical issues, as hard as she tried to cut the proverbial umbilical cord, I tried equally as hard not to sever it; but in the end, I'm sort of glad she did, as I know that I wouldn't be where I am today. I will, and do sorely miss calling her everyday and "checking in" and telling her about the day I had, and her telling me about hers. I love you, Mom; and even though I was mad at her for leaving us SO UNEXPECTEDLY, I'm glad that she's reunited with her parents and siblings that went before her......

The second hardest day of my life is September 28; this is the day that we lost our much beloved aunt (Mom's sister) in Chicago. She fought with the courage that Mom had, a long battle with cancer. Aunt Colleen and Mom were very close, and the pain of the loss of her (my aunt) almsot matches the loss of Mom. A blogger friend of mine (Marci, you will never know how much this has comforted me) said that God took Mom, who wasn't sick, first to prepare my aunt. If it was reverse, and my aunt had gone first, I don't want to even think about what that would've done to Mom. So I'm glad now that Mom went home first. Aunt Colleen also had the same smile and laugh the could light up a room that Mom had. Her "famous" word, or phrase, was "oh, good-o"...that will always put a smile on my face when I say it, or think of it.

*Side note*.....The day Mom died is also my cousin's (Mom's Godson) birthday...so this day will forever be hard on him as well...Love ya, Kevin

6 comments:

Noboyz said...

What great strength to make such a post Kathi.. I am proud of you for letting feelings go and sharing with others your grief and sorrow.
This my friend, will help you heal, and learn to deal with life and death and enjoy your beautiful memories. :)
I cannot fathom your pain, for my mother and best friend is still here, one day I too will be faced with this challenge of love and understanding life.....
Trust in God, cherish each day with loved ones and don't regret yesterday you cannot change it.

Hugs to you sweet friend.

Marci

Corby and Lauren said...

Kathi, I am so so sorry about what you have had to experience in such a short time. I am hurting so deeply for you right now!! I will be praying as you have to move forward without your sweet mom and aunt. You have AMAZING strength.

Love,
Lindsey Wheeler

Corby and Lauren said...

Sorry, I forgot that my sister's account was still on. I am Lindsey, Eliana's momma.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful words Kathi...I'm sure your mom and aunt are so very proud of you right now :) lots of love and strength for you

Leigh Ann said...

What an emotional post - it's a beautiful tribute!

Love you!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

K,

I am so sorry friend about your hurting heart ... I will be praying God can bring you comfort in the coming days ... Please know that I do pray for you and I wish I was there to give you a hug ... I am so thankful we meet so many years ago at KK ... You are a very kind person w/ a big heart ...

I appreciate you always praying for us ... Please let me know if there is anything else Scott or I can do ...